post 8: What Makes a Teen Number?
Post 8: What makes a teen number?
Personal Objective:
The personal objective for this blog is to help students understand the base-ten structure of teen numbers. Prior to this activity students should recognize that a full 10-frame represents 10 without having to count each dot (subitize), and also that a 10-frame can be partially filled to represent numbers less than 10. In order to complete the worksheet students should know the meaning of the equals and plus signs. The teachers focus is developing numeracy fluency and computational fluency. The students should have efficient, accurate, generalizable methods (algorithms) for computing numbers that are based on well-understood properties and number relationships (NCTM, 2000, p.144).
Common Core Standard:
K.NBT.A.1
Compose and decompose numbers from 11 to 19 into ten ones and some further ones, e.g., by using objects or drawings, and record each composition or decomposition by a drawing or equation (e.g., 18 = 10 + 8); understand that these numbers are composed of ten ones and one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, or nine ones.
Activity:
Task: Decompose teen numbers using 10-frames and a number equation.
Number cards 11-19
Pencil, crayon, or markerAttached student worksheet
number line or number chart
This activity can be done individually, in partners, or in small groups. The students have a teacher-made sheet and a writing implement. The cards are shuffled and placed face down.
Example:
The student continues to pick cards and illustrate numbers in this way until all cards are used or the sheet is filled.
Attached Resources: student worksheet/blackline master
Here is the solution for number 13:
The solutions for 11-19 follow the same pattern.
Other Resources:
Reflection:






Hi Ana! I really enjoyed reading your post. I knew the numbers ending in teen exist, but I never thought of doing a lesson on teen numbers. Your lesson and activities were very useful and helpful for me since I have never been able to see a lesson about this topic. I also like how you even included a video. I also like using videos for my lessons as well. You gave a few different activities, which shows differentiation. I also always struggled in math, and finding ways to make math simpler for students is essential so that they don’t struggle like we did. Nice work! -Victoria Yudenfriend
ReplyDelete