Post 3: Geometry: Shapes
Post 3 Geometry: Shapes
Personal Objective:
To teach my kindergarten class Geometry. Moreover, to identify and describe shapes (squares, circles, triangles, rectangles, hexagons, cubes, cones, cylinders, and spheres). Also, to describe objects using the names of shapes and describe the relative position of objects using the following terms: above, below, beside, in front of, next to, and behind.
Common Core Standard:
Activity:
- Display a variety of shapes (triangle, square, rectangle, circle) on whiteboard or chart paper using pre-cut paper shapes.
- Review each shape by pointing to it and asking the students to identify it by name. Then help the students describe the shapes' attributes. Say, "A triangle always has three sides and three corners."
- Explain that the class is going to practice finding shapes in the classroom and describing the position of the shapes using special math terms, called positional words. Positional words are words like "behind," "next to," or "in front of," and they help us tell someone where something is located.
Other Resources:
Games
https://www.education.com/game/kindergarten-shapes-song/
https://www.education.com/game/preschool-shapes-song/
Reflection:
As You may have noticed I am a member of education.com I decided to make this post on geometry because it was one of my favorite subjects. I also added games and included songs. I believe learning is done with much more grace when children can learn in ways that put them in a space of comfort. I am still having difficulties grasping this whole blog concept and when I try to post images they do not show up, therefore, I decided to put the links. I believe math lives in our environment and children should be able to explore math through many different roads. I want to end all my posts with an inspirational quote.


Hi Ana! I enjoyed reading your post. Your activity/lesson on geometry for kindergarten is developmentally appropriate. I like how you precut some of the materials for the students. I also liked the organization of your blog posts. Using the positional words that you mentioned for your lesson is very helpful especially for students at a young age. I think that the educational games will also be a fun way to incorporate the topic to your young learners. This was a really good way of explaining your topic. I think you did a very good job, your lesson was very informative. Nice work!
ReplyDeleteAna, this is an excellent post! I love that you incorporated the educational games. Playing games is a great way for young students to learn and it keeps them entertained. I think your lesson was very well planned out and inclusive of students different learning styles. Having students identify shapes around the classroom and use positional terms helps them apply meaning / make real world connections and will give them the foundation they need for learning geometry in the upper grades. Great job!
ReplyDeleteAna, I love your concept of implementing videos and games in your lesson. I believe young learners are more engaged when they are introduced to new games and educational videos. It's a great way for young learners to learn and keep them motivated. All students don't have the same learning styles so your lesson and resources are great for these students who have difficult in learning in specific style. Videos can help apply knowledge of the real world to students and make connections. Awesome work!
ReplyDelete